Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lost and Found

Homemade wheat bread!!! What more can I say? It has been over four years since I have been able to grind wheat into flour and make bread. Four years the bread was lost, and now, it has found its way into our kitchen again.

The aroma as the bread baked and then was pulled from the oven was heavenly. It reminded me of home, comfort, safety, and a mother's love.

My mom always had homemade bread for us--I didn't always appreciate it back then, but now realize just what a treat it was.
Two weeks have passed since making the bread and I figured it was time to find another favorite--homemade granola. Heidi initiated this one. She is in charge of a Relief Society evening focusing on using food storage items from the dry-pack cannery. I pulled out my recipe book (one my mom gave to me) and made two batches of granola--some for her, and the rest for us. This is the absolute, very best granola you could possibly dream of.

Since the wheat mill was out, I went ahead and made bread, too, and took a couple of loaves to our adopted parents, John and Louise. This could become a habit--an enjoyable habit!!!

So, so glad to have found some of the pleasures that were temporarily lost. Bon apetit!

1 comment:

Heidi J said...

And both the bread and granola was delicious! I can't wait to be able to make my own. Until then, keep bringing me loaves. :)