Do you remember the poem "This is the House that Jack Built"? (I remember memorizing it in kindergarten!) Well, this is the house that Wake built. OK, technically we aren't building the whole house, a contractor is taking care of most of it. But we, and some of our awesome family, are helping! And we will be paying for it--that must count for something! Can you believe it? After three-plus years we are finally building our house!
This is one month's progress. Yes, one month ago we had a barren field and an approved loan. Now look what has happened!

Jake, a nephew, and his first time working a tractor. He helped smooth out some of the Russian olive trees, some rough areas, and excavate for Mike's shed. (The shed will eventually end up being his "man-cave.")

Deegan, Sy, and Grandpa W digging for buried treasure.

Sy wanted to help with some of the measuring. She "measured" all over the place!

Of course Sy had to be in Poppa's arms as much as possible. I finally took her back to the house so Mike and Grandpa could get something accomplished without all of the extra help.

Big house!!! Really, this is Mike's building--not the main house. I am sure he will spend almost as much time in his little domain as he will in the house!

Heidi's husband, Josh, hauled a track-hoe to the property and excavated for the footers/foundation and dug the water trench. Much to our surprise, his digging turned up LOTS of extra water! The hole was wet and muddy. The trenches filled with almost four feet of water. Interestingly, the perc test results were dry enough that we could have put in a basement. So, so, so glad we decided not to!!!


Watching Josh work the track-hoe was amazing! I could have stood there for hours and hours watching him maneuver the bucket here and there. Sometimes a huge bucket full of dirt and rocks was smoothly pulled up from the ground and deposited. Other times the bucket teeth would gently pick up one or two errant rocks or precisely spread dirt to even up the site. (Heidi is in the blue hat holding the leveling 'thing'.) It was like watching an artist create a magnificent work of art.

Footers poured--trying to beat the forecasted snowstorm.

Foundation/crawl space walls poured and Mike backfilling. Again, trying to beat the winter snow and frigid Uintah Basin temperatures. We did have to cover the curing cement, but did not have to put heaters into use.

Outside walls framed and some of the inside walls as well. The following day all walls were up and outside sheeting, too.

The day after Thanksgiving the trusses were lifted and put into place. I thought the contractor would wait until the holiday weekend was over, but they were on the job getting things done. I know he is anxious to have the house under cover before we really do get the snow. We have been fortunate in that all the blizzards and snowstorms have come from the northwest so we have been missed. It may help that our contractor is a very righteous and good person. His prayers must have a little bit of pull!
As you can see, the house is progressing. The anticipated completion date is the middle of February--if everything goes well. If it doesn't go just right, it will be March or so. Either way, I can be patient (sort of--after all, it has been over three years to get to this point!)
2 comments:
I'm soooo excited for you! I would love to help whenever you get to a point I can help. Like painting :)
This is looking good! So happy and excited for you.
Post a Comment