Sunday, August 16, 2009

Surprise!!!


The end of riding horses and eating dinner came. Heidi and Deegan said their good-byes, Coree, Gavin, and kids said theirs and we waved as they drove away. The house seemed empty and I was missing family--especially since Coree's family would be heading back to China and I didn't know when we would be together again. Mike, Roux, and I began the clean-up process and spent time playing. Just as it was getting dark, Mike suggested we ride up and feed the other horses. The three of us, yes three of us, piled on Mike's motorcycle and headed up the hill to feed. As we approached John and Louise Jorgensen's, Mike said Louise needed him to look at her computer for a minute. This is not an unusual request so I didn't think anything of it. Well, the computer did not need looking at--Heidi and fam, Coree and family, Mikie and Charissa, John and Louise, and Charlie and Gary were all waiting with balloons, cake and a surprise party for me! My birthday was still ten days away, but they planned the celebration when they knew family would be around. I was very surprised--and touched.

Yes, the black signifies I am old--as my mother says, half-a-century.

Cake (with black and blue flowers) and ice cream, and even a gift or two. (I didn't get pictures--maybe I can get some from my camera happy sister!)

A gift of prismacolor pencils may not seem like much to most people, but it meant a lot to me. Mike and Charissa gave me sheet music for "Phantom of the Opera" and cleaner and polish for my violin. The girls gave me the prismacolors. It was kind of like my kids were telling me that it is time to pick up the talents and interests that I had set aside for so long--which is something I really have wanted to do, but have lacked to courage to see if I could still do those things. Their support and encouragement is motivating me to dust off the violin and pick up the pencils. (Coree's chocolates took care of my sweet tooth. She knows my weakness!)
Thank you for reminding me that in my old age you still love me!

No comments: