Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rural Schools Conference--on Motorcycles



In July, the Utah Rural Schools Association sponsors a conference for educators and administrators. The conference is held for four days in Cedar City concurrent with the SUU Shakespearean Festival. As a Literacy Specialist supporting nine school districts in Northeastern Utah, I am expected to present at the conference.

This year, Mike was able to accompany me to Cedar City. We decided to ride the motorcycles and make this our first multi-day trip. The difficult thing for me was planning my presentations and wardrobe to fit in a backpack and saddlebags. I am used to having a whole car to take "stuff" in, so was a little worried about the space limitations. It all worked out, and was so-o-o-o much fun. I think this trip turned me into a "biker fan." Now I can't get enough of it!!!
After day one of the conference, we rode the bikes up to Brianhead. Wouldn't you know it, part of the road had been chipped with gravel and not yet sealed. Novice bikers and gravel can be a scary combination.
Different day, different location, different land formations.
Kolob Canyon

It seems every time we turned a corner, my breath was taken away by the scenery.
Kolob Canyon


We stopped in Richfield at this little dairy/cafe. Oh my goodness! It is definitely a place to visit again.
I have always appreciated the beautiful world we live in. Seeing it on the back of a motorcycle adds another dimension of awe and wonder. I am so grateful to the Creator for the splendor of this home on Earth, and testify that this was not some random mistake, but a purposeful creation by God.

No comments: